Sunday, May 18, 2014


Speak- Movie vs. Book

File:Speak film.jpg                               My decision to read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson came from my recent compelling to watch the movie that was made based on the book. Yes, I watched the movie before reading the book. The movie “Speak” came out in 2004, with the leading role Kristen Stewart as Melinda Sordino. Currently I am only about 60 pages into the book but I defiantly feel that watching the movie first is helping me understand the book more. Overall I really enjoyed the movie.
            This movie is basically about a high school freshman that is struggling to forget memories from the past summer. At a summer party she called 9-1-1 after a senior raped her. Other teens there were busted for underage drinking and all the others blamed it on Melinda even though no one else knew what had happened to her. I believe that this movie and story is very powerful. It can be relatable in some ways to other teens and creates a very powerful message about how it is very important to speak up.

2 comments:

  1. I think this sounds like a good book and I think that it teaches a good moral to speak up when something is wrong even if you get called names or disliked by people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book and movie sound very good! I think I will read this or watch the movie because it soundslike there is a great message behind it and it sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete