Author Review: Laurie Halse Anderson
I have recently began the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. So far I am really enjoying the book but I would like to get to know a little more about her before I move on. Laurie Halse Anderson was born on October 23, 1961 in the Northern area of New York. As a student she showed early interest in writing. Despite her struggle in math, she hoped to one day be a doctor. During Anderson’s senior year, she at the age of sixteen, she moved out of her parent’s house and lived as an exchange student for thirteen months on a pig farm in Denmark. She then moved back home and began working at a clothing store making minimum wage; this pushed her into going to college. Laurie attended Onondaga Community College.
Laurie Halse Anderson married Greg Anderson, and in 1985, they had their first
child, Stephanie Holcomb. Two years later, they had their second child,
Meredith Lauren. The couple later divorced.Years later, Anderson moved
back to Mexico, New York and eventually became married to her childhood
sweetheart; Scot Larrabee.In the early years of her career, Laurie Halse Anderson was a freelance journalist for The Philadelphia Inquirer. She also started writing children’s and young adult novels around this time. In 1996 Anderson released her first children’s novel Ndito Runs. In 1999 Laurie published what is known as her most popular novel to date; Speak. This is the book that I am currently reading. In 2004, Speak was later made into a film starring Kristen Stewart as the main character Melinda Sordino. Anderson has also published other young adult novels including; Fever in 2002, Catalyst in 2002, Prom in 2005, Twisted in 2007 and her most recent publication is Wintergirls in 2009. Laurie Halse Anderson has won many awards and honors, most awards went to her novel Speak.
No comments:
Post a Comment