Sunday, May 11, 2014

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


            I have recently picked up the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Originally I wasn’t planning on going down the Realistic Fiction route again but something about this book just caught my eye. The back of the book talks about the first day of school and different social classes, this gave me a sense that the book could be very relatable. Just by that little piece of the book I wanted to find out what happened next so I decided to start reading.“It is my first morning of high school. I have seven new notebooks, a skirt I hate, and a stomachache.”This starting paragraph was quite interesting as well and defiantly captivates the reader’s attention and curiosity. 


            So far in the book Melinda (the main character) went off to her first day of high school in the morning and nothing has been going smoothly.Jocks, Eurotrash, Future Facists of America, Big Hair Chix. the Marthas, Suffering Artists, Thespians, Goths and Shredders. But can’t seem to fit herself into ANY available social groups. Last year her group of friends all split up and one moved to Nevada so Melinda basically walked in to school without any friends. She meets a girl named Heather, she has recently moved from Ohio. Melinda and Heather eat lunch together and sit next to each other for the 9th grade welcoming assembly.

For more information about Speak click here

2 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty relatable for incoming freshman. Let me know how you like it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very interesting and relateable

    ReplyDelete